We acknowledge that the lands on which we gather, plant, harvest, and share knowledge and resources are the homelands of the Innu and Inuit of Labrador, and we recognize their ancestral and continued ties to these lands and waters.
The Pye Centre offers a variety of services to support all community farm-based research activities on or with the Farm. In addition to general field preparation and maintenance, trained Pye Centre staff are available to operate equipment and/or provide equipment training, receive and organize bulk supply shipments, help with any planting, monitoring, irrigating, and harvesting needs, and assist with data collection or operation of data collection equipment.
Anyone interested in accessing the services listed below to support their research project must complete a Services, Equipment, and Resources Request Form. All services are provided for on an hourly basis. See our Summary of Fees for details on rates.
Operation of farm equipment requiring specific insurance and/or training
Operations and Supplies
Direct support receiving supplies; field preparation and maintenance; planting, irrigating, and harvesting crops
Research Support and Monitoring
Assistance collecting data or operating data collection equipment
More information on the services listed above is available upon request. For any research support services needed beyond that included in this list, please contact the Pye Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Pye Centre, a variety of farm equipment is available to rent by anyone working on a community farm-based research project. All equipment is the property of the Pye Centre / Labrador Institute of Memorial University, and is operated by Pye Centre staff with the necessary insurance and training, unless special arrangements are made.
As this equipment is shared by all those who work with and on the farm, we ask that all renters follow the procedures outlined below, to ensure these shared resources are available and in good working condition for others to use as well.
Anyone interested in renting farm equipment to support their research project must complete a Services, Equipment, and Resources Request Form. See our Summary of Fees for details on rental rates. General procedures for renting farm equipment are as follows:
- All farm equipment is available on a first come, first served basis, although special request for equipment associated with highly time-sensitive activities will be considered and prioritized accordingly. Some flexibility and patience are required on the part of all farm users in sharing any equipment.
- A Services, Equipment, and Resources Request Form must be submitted at least one month in advance of the requested rental period.
- Requested rental periods will be confirmed upon approval of the Services, Equipment, and Resources Request Form by a Pye Centre representative.
- Most of the equipment at the Pye Centre requires insurance and/or specific training to use (e.g. the tractor, and any equipment that attaches to the tractor). Pye Centre staff with the necessary insurance and training will operate the equipment to accomplish the tasks specified by the renter.
- In cases where renters provide proof of insurance and training to use the equipment, special arrangements can made directly with the Pye Centre.
Tractor (Kubota 5100 50 HP; includes bucket and fork attachments; open tractor)
Raised bed mulch layer (2500 Series 2)
Kuhn power harrow
Discer (Landpride; 8ft)
Post hole digger
Cone fertilizer spreader
Organic fertilizer spreader
Rain Flo transplant setter
2-blade multivator (between-row tiller)
Roto tiller (Nardi F125)
Potato digger (single row Keiverniland)
More information on the equipment listed above is available upon request. For any equipment needed beyond that included in this list, please contact the Pye Centre: email@example.com.
Anyone working on a community farm-based research project at the Pye Centre will have access to the resources listed below, at no extra cost. Arrangements to use these resources can be made through the Pye Centre by filling out a Services, Equipment, and Resources Request Form.
Small tool storage
40-foot metal sea container; located near the Market Building; limited space
Storage for fertilizer, seeds, and other inputs
40-foot metal sea container; located near the strawberry patch and irrigation pond; limited space
Market Building (40ft x 30ft), with benches and a small amount of space for processing
Groundwater pond available for irrigation; located south of the Research Plots
Located in Market Building
Located in Market Building
More information on the resources listed above is available upon request. For any resources needed beyond those included in this list, please contact the Pye Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Request Form: